Telecommunicator of the Year
Eligibility - Nominees must have been employed in this category by a public safety agency for 2 (two) years or more. Nominees do not have to be members of NM APCO or NM NENA.
Responsibilities should include the following:
- Functions as a front line dispatcher or call taker for police, fire, and/or EMS agencies
- Operates telecommunications equipment to receive emergency and non-emergency phone calls
- Determines situations from callers and ascertains all required information for dispatch of a call
- Relays information to a dispatcher (if a separate position) via CAD or manual dispatch cards
- Operates radio equipment to dispatch first responder units to request emergency services, receives radio traffic from first responders, monitors emergency and support radio frequencies
- Maintains unit status and practices both decision-making and multitasking skills
- Operates computer equipment to assist both officers and citizens with the retrieval of information
- Maintains appropriate security and confidentiality of information created or encountered in the performance of assigned duties
Criteria as follows:
(Nominators, please answer each question as any questions left unanswered will disqualify the nominee)
- Describe the nominee's public safety communications agency. Please include staffing levels, size and discipline (law enforcement, fire, EMS, PSAP only etc.)
- Describe the nominee’s daily and additional pertinent duties and responsibilities.
- Tell us how long the nominee has been at this job and any previous public safety communications positions the nominee has held.
- Describe how the nominee functions as a team player.
- Describe how the nominee demonstrates his/her knowledge of the profession and flexibility in task assignments. Provide an example of how the nominee may go above and beyond what may be required of an individual in this position.
- Describe the nominee's personal and professional interaction, via radio and telephone, with agency clients and members.
- Describe the nominee's overall performance throughout the year.
- Explain how the nominee exemplifies the "customer service" skills that often define how the calling public and public safety agencies dispatched perceive call takers and dispatchers.
- In one page or less, describe why the candidate should receive the NM APCO/NM NENA Telecommunicator of